Monday, September 21, 2015

Just a quick check-in!

Hey guys! I am still here! I am just in busy, back-to-school mode. This mode won't end until after the fall season is over, which is when busy, holiday mode will kick in. Why are things so busy you ask? Well, here you have it...

1. Volleyball season is well under way. This occupies most of my extracurricular time at school from mid-August-mid-November. I have a weird relationship with coaching. I love volleyball, and I really enjoy being with my players (they are just the nicest group of girls...who may have cried when we one our first game today...not set...we didn't win the whole thing...just one of the games...). The girls really make coaching worth it. The part I don't like so much is being pulled away from home and my own kids. Luckily, my players embrace my family as much as they do me as their coach and Tom happily brings the kids to home games.

2. SGA is busy with homecoming. We plan spirit week, homecoming, and the festival. And all of those things will be happening in just over 2 weeks! EEP!

3. Enrichment. I am working with a group of teachers to plan, launch, and run our first enrichment program. Enrichment is a weekly club period that meets, so students can participate in a club as part of the school day. We polled students and found that many would like to stay for clubs, but can't, due to work obligations, siblings who they need to watch, sports, or transportation. We wanted to make sure every student had access to a club, so that he/she could find a place to belong. Our dream is starting to become a reality and it is, seriously, one of the most empowering experiences I have ever been a part of. I am so proud of the teachers who worked to see this through.

4. Lily has soccer, which isn't a huge time obligation, but it's an added weekly event.

5. School is starting, so things are always a little busier and crazier. Getting to know students, getting to know schedules, etc...can be a task!

I am not saying all of this to complain. I am happily busy. I like feeling like I am making a difference in my school by being able to offer my time to things that I enjoy doing. I feel very lucky to have such supportive co-workers, friends, and family members who allow me to do what I love and be the teacher that I envisioned myself being.

That said, I will welcome a breather when November rolls around...just in time for the holidays! Fall is, seriously, my favorite time of the year and I am happy that it is well under way. I may get around to updating this thing in another month!

No comments:

Post a Comment