Thursday, September 3, 2015

Is this a post mid-week confession?

I am curious: do parents of BCPS students realize the cost to retrofit a school with A/C (and get building up to code to do those renovations)? I am following all of these big A/C debates in school and I am wondering a few things:

1. Where do people think millions of dollars can appear from to get A/C?...
2. What has changed since I was in schools without A/C? (because there wasn't some crazy public outcry when I was in school...there were fans, water bottles, and some very warm days...we just dealt with it)...
3. One argument I've been reading is that kids get dehydrated. I regularly hold volleyball practices in a gym that isn't air conditioned. Temps are definitely in the 90s, plus the girls run around. I am very good about giving water breaks, but I also tell the girls they need to drink more water at home to work on prevention. Don't parents know to keep kids hydrated at home to work on preventing dehydration before it begins?

This just seems so #firstworldproblem to me. There was a time, not so long ago, when A/C wasn't in any building...anywhere. Have humans changed that quickly that we can't cope when it's hot?

I am genuinely curious. I just wonder if we get so accustomed to technology that we forget how to human (in more ways than just this one...).


No comments:

Post a Comment