Monday, August 10, 2015

Day 8 of Reflective Teaching...and no pictures yet...

Write about one of your biggest accomplishments in your teaching that no one knows about (or may not care).

I really had to think about this one. Probably my greatest accomplishment was being named the OM Teacher of the Year this past year, but after that was in the newsletter, most of my colleagues know that (although, you all might not know that!).

I think my biggest accomplishment was getting through my 11th grade class this past year. It was a tough class. I had a really challenging 11th grade class of mostly boys. They all knew each other, they were all (mostly) friends, and they liked to push buttons. It took the entire year to really figure out how to best handle those guys. I worked so hard for that class. I changed lessons, modified EVERYTHING to try and break through to them. By the end of the year I had kids asking to be in honors. I moved at least 3 students up to honors, and I am happy to say, almost every student passed (the ones who didn't were attendance problems)...and they didn't just pass with Ds...they passed with Bs and As. There were days when I felt like I could walk of of my room in tears, but I pushed through each class and worked my hardest to teach them. In the end, it all worked out. I forged some really solid relationships with some of my students, which is really the greatest accomplishment. I think my biggest accomplishments and successes are the ones where I can break through with a kid. Those are the moments that truly count.

No comments:

Post a Comment